Kristi Funch Lodge of Incipit Careers and I co-host the #withaphd chat on Twitter. We generally hold the chat twice monthly on Mondays at 8pm EDT.
We don't own the hashtag, but use it to talk about issues facing people, well, #withaphd including job seeking, networking, leaving academia and more. We inherited the chat from our colleague Jennifer Polk, who tirelessly advocates for PhDs outside of academia.
Although the chat is Twitter-based, we've just launched a Facebook page, which you can find (and please like!) here.
Join the chat!
If you've never participated in a Twitter chat before, it's easy. Follow these steps:
Search Twitter for the #withaphd hashtag to follow the conversation
- Include the #withaphd hashtag somewhere in your tweet to join the convo.
- February 5, 2018: Money!
- January 22, 2018: Tools, Planning, and PENS!
- December 11, 2017: we talked to Anna Valdes about how she found her new job!
- November 20, 2017: How and why to quit your job.
- November 6, 2017: Rejection
- September 25, 2017: Job searching
- September 11, 2017: Staying engaged outside of academia, cohost Katy Peplin
- August 28, 2017: Day jobs