I'm an entrepreneur with a PhD in history. I own a small, independent writing business called the Mérida Collective Writing Project. I help academic writers get more writing done with less shame and greater joy.
I host writing retreats in Mexico and Guatemala to provide safe, collaborative spaces for writers to take creative risks in their work. I coach writers to help them use their own creativity and ingenuity to create strategies to reach their writing goals. I also provide academic editing services to scholars in the humanities.
Areas of Expertise
I speak and write about the following topics:
- Latin American history
- Guatemala, early 20th century to present
- Adoption and adoption history
- State violence against families and children
- Trauma and victim advocacy
- Writing processes
- Study abroad and non-traditional learning
- Transitioning from academia to self-employment
- Creative risk and big life changes
- Pseudo-science, eugenics history
- Student debt
- Podcast Interview; Academics Mean Business, "From a History PhD to a Writing Business." (May 29, 2018)
- "Finding Footholds, Finding Your Way," in Succeeding Outside the Academy: Career Paths Beyond the Humanities, Social Sciences, and STEM, edited by Kelly J. Baker and Joe Fruscione University of Kansas Press, forthcoming, October 2018.
- Podcast interview; Writer Wiz, "Academic Writing, and Life After the Ph.D." (April 9, 2018)
- Featured on Freshbooks Blog, "Meet Lisa, a Writer Who Immediately Mastered Organization After Switching From Spreadsheets to Simple Cloud Accounting." March 26, 2018.
- Live webinar about trauma: Graduate Women in Science; February 22, 2018
- Guest blog post: The Professor Is In, "Leaving Academia: Learning to Grieve," September 27, 2018.
- Guest blog post: The Professor Is In, "Leaving Academia: The Trauma of Identity Loss," September 18, 2017.
- Essay: Nursing Clio, "Buried Secrets, Living Children: Secrecy, Shame, and Sealed Adoption Records," October 10, 2017.
- Guest blog post: The Professor Is Out, "Classrooms without Walls," August 14, 2017.