Feeling stuck with your writing? Do you find yourself mired in a vicious cycle of perfectionism? Having trouble sticking to a writing schedule? Chronic procrastination followed by binge writing and panic? Paralyzed by shame?
You're not alone.
Here's the truth: you've got everything you need to solve your writing problems within you right now. But sometimes it can be hard to see the solutions to your writing problems when you're in the soup.
This is where writing coaching comes in. Coaching deals with all the parts of writing that aren't actually about writing. Working with a writing coach can help you identify what's getting in the way of being the productive writer you want to be and use your own creativity and ingenuity to help move you forward.
Some of the things we can work on include:
- Creating a writing schedule that you can stick to
- Making writing more social through accountability check-ins
- Working through emotional road blocks, especially the kind in which the shame and fear gremlins show up
- Breaking through writer's block and getting words flowing again
- Prioritizing your own creative goals and making a plan to get there made up of small, concrete steps
- Understanding your triggers that lead to either procrastination or shame and fear cycles
- Creating an emotional support network to decrease isolation and loneliness and increase productivity
- Decreasing stress and increasing (dare I say it?) joy in your writing
- Coping with rejection and deconstructive criticism
- Achieving greater focus and clarity in your writing
- Getting back into writing and re-igniting creativity after loss, grief, or trauma
Benefits of coaching:
- More positivity and joy in your writing and work
- Increased self-sufficiency and problem-solving skills
- Taking more responsibility for your writing through directed action
- More writing accomplished!
My Coaching Philosophy
Here's what I absolutely believe: your relationship to your writing reflects the quality of the relationship you're having with yourself.
Most of the time, when your writing practices starts skidding off the rails, there's something else going on. Looking at people's writing practices says a lot about how they feel about themselves as people. Writing coaching isn't therapy--it's a series of questions designed to challenge your thinking and help you see problems in a new way. Most of all, I want to help you get out of your own way so that you can become the writer you want to be. I meet you where you are in your writing process and work with you to figure out where you want to go and make a plan to get there. I coach writers based on empowerment models that position people as the experts on their lives and writing. I'm most effective when I help clients discover their own strengths and resources that move them forward in the writing process. I absolutely believe in your abilities, ingenuity, and creativity to become the writer you want to be.
Not all coaches are the same. I talk to potential coaching clients before we start to make sure that we're a compatible team and agree on goals. Because of personal experience and professional training, I practice coaching in ways that are trauma-informed and that honor difficult life experiences. I have extensive experience working with people on issues of loss, grief, and trauma. If you're struggling to write in the aftermath of loss, grief, or trauma, let's talk about how we can work together to move you forward in your writing.
Ready to get started?
Coaching is most effective when we develop a relationship with each other based on trust and respect. I strongly recommend committing to a coaching program. I offer three, six, and twelve month coaching programs, as well as design custom coaching programs based on your needs.
Working With Me:
We'll figure out a time meet via video (Skype/Hangouts/Google Meet) and have an initial free 30 minute call to make sure that we're a good fit and team. If you decide that you want to work with me, you'll pick the coaching package that meets your needs and purchase. As coaching depends on relationship building, I only offer writing coaching as package deals. I regret to say that I don't offer writing coaching sessions a la carte.] We'll schedule your coaching sessions and then get to work. We'll meet according to the schedule we set up together and start helping you achieve your writing goals.
PACKAGES AND PRICING
Please note that writing coaching fees must be paid in full in advance and are non-refundable.
Custom Coaching Packages:
Together we design a custom coaching program that suits you. Minimum three months. Ask for pricing details.